Driving the same route to work or school every day means you probably feel relatively safe along your route. When it comes to driving, you really never know what can happen. This is because you share the road with many other drivers, and everyone's decisions on the road can affect others. Plus, you may think your vehicle is in top shape but there may be an issue brewing underneath the hood.
We really never know when we might find ourselves in an accident or a breakdown, and being prepared with various emergency items can be super helpful in times of need. The more prepared you are in a certain situation, the more likely you will be able to handle the incident without panicking or making the issue worse.
The following emergency items are great to place in your vehicle:
- Spare Tire, Jack, and Lug Wrench - Having a spare tire is extremely important. You never know when you might need one. A tire can blow out unexpectedly just by driving over a nail or other sharp object, and a spare tire will definitely come in handy if you find yourself in this position. You’ll need a jack to lift up on end of your vehicle and a lug wrench to remove and replace bolts and nuts.
- Flashlight - A flashlight is always handy to have in your vehicle. It is also needed if you are changing a tire in the dark. 'Tool Kit - You never know when you’ll need a screwdriver or other tools.
- First Aid Kit - A first aid kit is easy to acquire from your local convenience store and can come in handy, especially on a road trip.
- Non-perishable Foods - Having a bag of trail mix or nuts in your car is a good way to prepare yourself for a long drive or an unforeseen instance when you need food and can’t get to any.
- Water - A jug or couple bottles of water is nice to have on hand at all times.
- Cell Phone Charger - A charger is always good to have in your vehicle, especially when you need to call for help or roadside assistance and your phone is dying.
- Jumper Cables - Very handy for when a dead battery occurs.
- Emergency Phone Numbers - Keep a notebook with important phone numbers, including roadside assistance, family members, tow trucks, and your trusted auto repair shop.
- Reflective Vest - A reflective vest is good to have just in case you need to walk from your vehicle to a nearby gas station.
All of the maintenance items listed above will help you stay prepared in any situation on the road. Also, be sure to stay on top of your vehicle's maintenance in order to avoid any major breakdowns along your daily route. If you do find that your vehicle is due for maintenance, don't hesitate to give us a call here at German Motors today!